Mar 30, 2011

By the way...

The first time I heard/saw "btw" was in Sunday School... I was 14. Apparently it was a life-changing experience because I remember where I was sitting (in the 3rd seat from the left) and what what happening (attendance). Okay, moving on.

Why do we substitute "btw" for "by the way?" It makes sense when typing, but vocalizing "btw" seems a little silly. Because it's more syllables than just saying it! Think about it. By-the-way. Bee-tee-dub-ul-you. (That's officially how you spell w, btw: dubulyou.) So to shorten the "bee-tee-dub-ul-you" people say, "bee-tee-dub" and sometimes you'll hear "bee-tee-dubs." I'm just saying. But "bee-tee-dub(s)" is just as efficient as "by the way" (same number of syllables). So there must be a coolness factor in saying "bee-tee-dubs." Then, I figure, if that's the cool thing to say, it might be the cool thing to type!  

btdub.
btdubs.
btdubblicious.

Eh, maybe not. Why not just dubs? Because then posterity would wonder, "how in the world did we get from 'by the way' to 'dubs'?!" We wouldn't wanna stress them out. dubs, we're going to Duke.

7 comments:

Meg said...

haha! you crack me up. congrats!

Andon, Katie, and Camilla said...

Jealous! Andon is getting ready to go apply to Grad schools and we were talking about how it would be our dream to go to Duke! Andon served in NC and near Duke and LOVED it. You'll be right by the ocean, the crystal coast, the outer banks...You can go to Harkers Island and eat shrimp and oh ya, get an education. ;) Ahhh! Congrats! Can we come visit!!!!!?????? lol

Katie said...

DUKE!!! Go girl! That's so awesome! I like how you tucked the news in with the whole btw dialogue. Very clever. And very good news! Looks like I need to make a trip to Duke sometime in the next year :-) I look forward to it :-) Love you girl. Love the posts.

John Styles said...

Well---at least it is East coast! No seriously, we are very excited for you guys! CONGRATS!

C&C said...

This made me laugh because i definitely say bt dubs...
DUKE! That is on the top of my list of places for Craig to go to business school. beautiful, prestigious, closeish to the beach and on the east coast, great quality of life and probably a nicer house for cheaper...what's not to love? CONGRATS!

Doug & Charisse said...

Candice, I actually thought of you while typing this. haha. You do say "tevs" after all!

Emily said...

While we're commenting on Candace's lingo, I really do dig her shortened words. :) Also, congrats! If we go to VA than we'll be relatively close!! We could even hang out on the occasional weekend!