Apr 12, 2011

Therapy

This is awesome. I wish opportunities like this were available for all people, not just those with special needs! (oh wait, they are...still, it's super cool) I think that activities like these: painting, sculpting, interacting with animals, etc, do a lot for a person's self esteem. 

Source
I'm definitely not the expert on the impact that an animal can have on a person's health (please step in if you are) but I believe that it is beyond beneficial. I know of several families who got a dog primarily to help their son with autism cope. One mother specifically said that her son does not stutter when he talks to their dog, but he does when he talks to people. Animals simply don't judge people and I think that if you feel misjudged or misunderstood a lot, animals can be a relief from person-person interaction.

Source
P.S. I learned that it's called Animal Assisted Therapy. Here's a cool website about it.

3 comments:

Emelro said...

what a neat idea! i have never heard of this. animals are the best. you should talk to dave's mom about it...she considers their pets family and it is adorable :)

Cami! said...

At the hospital where I work, there is a dog therapist that goes around to all the rooms. It's pretty cool, unless you're allergic to dogs...

Mary said...

They have "puppy Fridays" at my work. Our reacreational therapist brings in her dog. It is AMAZING to see what it does for the patients! Patients who are grumpy and rude and won't talk to us just melt when the dog comes around. They'll snuggle him and open up about themselves. It is wonderful.