Feb 16, 2012

Getting there gradually

I grew up in a home with a delicious homemade meal essentially every night. Basically, my mom is an amayzing cook. I moved to college and tried to make my own meals. I thought that perhaps the chef gene was simply dormant. I got married and finally I have decided that either I didn't get the chef gene, or there's no such thing. Did I give up? Despite Doug's satisfaction with frozen pizza and/or cereal for every meal, no - I did not give up.

Thrice - thrice, people! - have I made a meal worthy of my mother this week (week is loosely defined as the last 7-9 days...).

1. Pork (well Elk, actually) Goulash. (I'm honestly just relieved I found a way to make the Elk edible!)
2. Shrimp Tacos (surprisingly easy!!)
3. French Onion Soup. Yup, you read right. Care to take a guess at which one is mine?

soup1

soup2
I had to crop the images so you couldn't tell just by the dishes - but maybe you still can? Mine's soup2 btdubs. Doesn't even look better than the real French one? Oh. I am so good.

Anyway, the hardest part about making French Onion Soup is slicing all the onions. Then my friend geniously recommended that I use my food processor next time. DUH. Oh, and if you order this at a restaurant, know that you're basically paying for the gruyere cheese, everything else is inexpensive.

So, I've come to the conclusion that whether or not there is such a thing as a chef gene in my family, I can become a good chef, it just might take a while.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Ha, I definitely did not get the chef gene if there is such a thing! But with loads of practice (trial and error and lots of bowls of cereal) we can get better right?! That's what I'm hoping for... We can do this!