Feb 4, 2012

What's in Your Closet?

I wore one of my favorite skirts the other day and said to myself, "self, that was a really good purchase." I bought it when I was 14, years old (I remember because I wore it to one of my first stake dances!) and I have worn it pretty consistently ever since. Crazy, right?

It's shorter now than it was when I was 14... and probably tighter haha.

Then I thought, I think that skirt is the oldest thing in my closet. No! My fifth grade graduation shirt definitely wins. I still wear it (yes, it still fits!) but rarely, if ever, in public...


Look, it still has my name on the back!

I removed everyone else's names... so now it looks weird. Such is the price of  confidentiality.
So what's the oldest thing you're clinging on to?

4 comments:

Victoria Blanchard said...

Until last spring I had some pretty old stuff in my closet---a pair of shoes and some sweaters/shirts from when I was 14 or 15 (I was 27 when I got rid of them!). Beth Robinson finally helped me clean them out ---trust me, they were ready to go! Now I don't think I have anything from high school, and probably not much even older than 5 years old. Of course, it makes a difference that 5 years ago I had almost no money to spend on clothes and I hadn't learned some important lessons in how to shop or what looks good on me (I made a lot of progress when I watched endless episodes of "What not to wear" when Katie was a newborn) so I wasn't buying a lot of wardrobe items that can still make me say, "Self, good purchase!" :)

Elizabeth said...

When I was home for Christmas, I found a pair of shoes under my bed that I had bought in high school and forgotten about. Definitely a moment in which I wanted to pat my younger self on the back for occasional moments of good taste. So I know exactly what you mean!

Lauren VanDerwerken said...

i'm glad that i am not the only one who talks to themself by referring to themselves as "self, ....".

Caitlin said...

I definitely have a t-shirt that I wear on a regular basis that I bought from the Utah Hogle Zoo when I was 8. :)