Feb 18, 2013

Organizing my home, organizing my life

If you know me at all, you know that organization does not come naturally to me. When I do try to organize or clean it takes forever because this is what happens: I see the messy bed, while making the bed I see the laundry pile, while doing the laundry, I look at the disorganized shelf above, while organizing the shelf I'm reminded of birthday cards I need to mail out, I sit down to write the cards but the table still has breakfast on it, I put the food in the fridge when I notice some food went bad, I throw it away but the garbage is full, I take out the garbage and come back inside to a still messy home, feeling frazzled and like I haven't accomplished anything though 30 minutes have passed. Some people I've talked to say this thought process is normal and there's nothing you can do about it. Well I respectfully disagree because I know people who don't think this way, they have a clean home, and I want to be like that. I want to change.

Some (semi-painful) self-reflection left me with these thoughts:

If I can't manage these 854 sq ft. with one child (and one husband...) how will I manage a real house with more children? And let's take this a step further, how can I expect Heavenly Father to trust me to manage even more? It boils down to three things. 1. I see managing my home as an undesirable task. 2. I haven't learned how to keep up with my home. 3. I'm being a lazy bum. So I'm going to fix this. I'm going to fix this because I'm happier when my house is clean and my home is organized. I'm going to fix this because it is an attribute I feel necessary to gain in this life because it will be necessary in the next. I'm going to fix this because this is my garden and I'm going to dress it and keep it (Moses 3:15).

Here's my game plan. I have assigned a chore and a room to each day of the week. In February it is only mandatory for me to do Mondays chores on Mondays though that doesn't preclude me from doing more. Each new month I will add a new day. By the end of the year, I will be doing each day's chores, every week.   Steady and slow wins the race, right?

Monday: mop/ master bedroom/ plan meals
So on Mondays I will mop all floors that can be mopped, spend 15 minutes deep cleaning or organizing some area in the master bedroom, and plan meals for the next week.
Tuesday: tops/ TV room
Tuesday is the day to dust or wipe down the tops of all surfaces and spend 15 minutes deep cleaning some area in the TV room.
Wednesday: walls/ windows/ washroom 
You get the idea.
Thursday: thorough/ closets
Thorough means I clean under or in between sneaky places. I can't think of how to alliterate closets or kitchen with Thursday or friday so they're just tacked on... please forgive me.
Friday: fridge/ kitchen
Saturday: spare room
This is Ben's room.

So I think that covers every area of the house and every chore that doesn't need to be done more than once a week. Did I miss something? Can you think of more fun alliteration?

I'd love to hear what you do to keep up with your home. What are some tricks you use? What sets you back and how to you get back on track? How do you not be lazy?! Okay, go!


5 comments:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

Organization is not something that comes naturally for me either. I have really struggled since being unemployed since our move with really similar thoughts. How am I supposed to be a Mom someday when I can't even keep this place clean with two of us? Devin has been working and studying for CPA exams until about 1 AM for months (thankfully it is over!), but it has meant I have needed to do everything by myself and I have been struggling to find a system that works.

You should read the book "Heaven is Here" by Stephanie Nielsen. She is LDS and sometimes I think she talks too much about the racy side of their marriage, but she talks a lot about her accident and learning to be grateful and glorify in the simple things like house cleaning and laundry. It helped me see other people have a good perspective of these things (when I don't).

Erin said...

Being tidy doesn't come easily to me, either! I used to do something like this in Logan. I have been thinking of getting back into the habit, because it worked pretty well. I would do chores in the morning, usually during Bennett's first nap or just in the morning once he stopped napping (while I worked, he would play on his own/help/distract me).

I just did a room a day (all the chores for that room):
Monday- Kitchen (vacuum/mop, wipe down all surfaces, clean oven, microwave, toaster oven etc.)
Tuesday- Bedrooms/bathroom (tidy rooms/clean the bathroom)
Wednesday was my day off (I went to Institute)
Thursday was laundry (washing/drying/folding. ALL OF IT. ugh)
Friday was the living room (general tidying/vacuuming)

Once a month, I would tackle an unusual job in each room (like cleaning out the fridge, wiping out window wells, laundering sheets/blankets/pillows) in addition to the normal tidying. I spaced out these super days so that there was one a week instead of having all the super days in one week.

It was easiest for me to clean by room, and I was surprised at how little time it took each week (after the first week when it was a real chore because everything was messier). I really got into a groove, and everything stayed really tidy. Actually, just typing this to you gives me the inspiration I've needed to get back to it! Guess I'll start with the rooms tomorrow!

Oh, one last thing. The other thing that really (REALLY) helped me was really getting rid of clutter and things I didn't need. We have TOO MUCH STUFF and it it so easy for things to get messy! But I watched a few episodes of hoarders, scared myself into really dejunking, and never missed a single thing I got rid of!!

Unknown said...

I just made myself a schedule like this and it is working so far. I also do a general tidy every morning (or evening would work.) This I do while max is eating the part of his breakfast he feeds himself. It makes the other jobs easier for me. Also... When everyone has the flu while ben is cutting new teeth, it's OK to take a day or 7 off until you feel better.... That was my week last week.

Allyson said...

Charisse, I used to be really good at this. Living with my in-laws has definitely changed the way we do things. :) I would highly recommend the book "Secrets of an Organized Homemaker"
http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Organized-Homemaker-Secrets-Uncluttering/dp/1558703616

I've found that planning out a menu for the week (usually on Sunday nights) makes a huge difference in how my week goes. Just knowing what we'll be having for dinner takes away so much stress and makes it easier for me to focus on getting the other things done.

Good luck! I hope this goes well. :)

Caitlin said...

I think your plan is great! I should implement something like that someday... One thing that Ryan has taught me (and I still suck at) is to "put the house to bed at night." It makes such a huge difference to wake up to a clean house instead of a sink full of dishes and clutter to trip over when you're half awake. Good luck!