May 3, 2011

Paris: Adventures

Public Transportation
Because we didn’t have a car, the public transportation system was the best way to get around. It was surprisingly easy to navigate and we didn’t get really lost ever. Aren’t you proud?!

I didn’t take any picture of the metro/RER system for two reasons: 1. I didn’t think of it. And 2. It was filthy. As Doug said throughout the trip, “Urine Europe” (say it out loud). It’s so true, it smelled like urine and alcohol almost everywhere we went in Paris. Gross! Also, more often than not, the floors/ground were covered with trash. Needless to say, Paris is a dirty place.

Doug entertained us with his pronunciation of Paris train stations. My favorite was how he said Chatelet les Halles. It is pronounced “Shut-eh-lay lay all.” He would say, “Chayt-let less hall-ess.” Pricless.

Friends
The Saids met up with us (me, Doug, Miriam, Josh) on Thursday and stayed with us throughout our stay. We were super glad to have them along -  aside from their company, they both are perfectly fluent in French and had a GPS. Plus, they live in Norway, so we’ll take any chance we get to see them :).

Mike and Emily Bingham currently live in Paris and they invited us over for dinner Friday night. She made a delicious chicken lasagna and we relished the American company. Their children are super cute. The oldest boy was best friends with Daniel when they lived in NY and it’s amazing to me how much he’s grown up!! The oldest girl looks just like Emily and the other are just too precious. I’m so impressed with their French also! Thanks for having us over, Binghams!

3 comments:

Katie said...

when I grow up..I want my life to be just as AWESOME as yours miss paris :-) love the updates!

Mom Standage said...

Love reading about what you're doing and who with. What a great experience.

Victoria Blanchard said...

I'm surprised to hear things are soooo dirty in Paris (although I've heard that before). Everywhere we went in Belgium (and Cologne Germany and the countryside of France we went through) was so clean. Like, Disneyland clean!