Jun 15, 2011

The blind will hear and the Deaf will watch

Since Delfina brought it up, and I think it's a wonderful topic, I want to discuss the benefits of special needs students getting involved in extracurricular activities. Two different articles were published this week on this very discussion!

In this article, Chianese is a ballet teacher for the blind and visually impaired. In the second article, 3 Deaf young adults take a karate class. Most blind or Deaf people do not consider themselves as having a disability. Still, because special education is my discipline, and I may work with Deaf/blind students who have a disability in addition, I want to incorporate these techniques and philosophies into my teaching.


Ballet for the blind. I love it! I know how much joy ballet brings me and I think it's great that teachers are thinking out of the box to share that joy with people who wouldn't naturally participate. When asked if she enjoyed ballet, one student said that "she discovered muscles she never knew she had." That's exactly what I say every first class of the season! That tells me that this student is having fun and exercising at the same time (that's what I mean when I say that!). I imagine that strenuous physical activity would be difficult as a blind person; but it could be fun in a controlled setting like holding on to a bar in the ballet studio, or feeling tape on the floor to guide yourself. I know from personal experience that dancing gives me confidence, it makes me feel beautiful and accomplished. In fact, that's exactly why I do it (as I've said in several previous posts). I'm so glad that people have made the impractical happen.



The karate class is a very similar scenario. While I disagree with several of the assumptions made in the second article, this statement made sense to me:
“They [the Deaf students] learn incredibly fast,” said Joan Lopas, who serves as their interpreter, along with Tori Robinson. “Karate is a visual language. They pay attention to every move.”
It makes sense that Deaf people would be more attentive to body movement than hearing people and that they might learn quicker. Similar to doing ballet, it is logical that learning karate, and legitimately earning belt rankings (sorry, I don't know karate lingo!) creates a sense of accomplishment and confidence. See what can happen when pedagogy is modified to the student?? I love my job. (Technically, I don't have a job. But it's my job. My responsibility. Yeah?)

The common thread in these two articles is that participation and success in these activities leads to increased confidence. I love that. One of my biggest goals in life is to raise confident children -- so that concept really speaks to me. Often, kids with special needs are seen in their disabilities rather than in their abilities. I believe that a lack of confidence and knowledge of self-worth is a direct result of others not believing in them. Involvement in these activities, especially when the activities are scaffolded to the students' unique needs and supported by someone who believes in them, will hopefully help these students feel more confident. Who knows, maybe that confidence can spread to other areas of their lives!


See? Like that :)


3 comments:

Fina said...

Great blog, so glad you shared those articles! That is exactly the kind of stuff that made me choose Therapeutic Recreation (a.k.a. recreational therapy) for my major. That's how I want to help people :)

So glad there are enthusiastic, considerate people like you out there making a difference through education and simply by example!

Mom Standage said...

Here's a big AMEN!

Katie said...

girl, I love you so much! I think you're so great! And I love reading your happy updates :-)