Sep 15, 2011

College for students with disabilities

In this ever advancing world, bachelors degrees are replacing high school diplomas as the minimum job requirement. This generally means that if you plan to have a decent job - one with a salary that can support you (and your family) - you need to go to college. "Your mom goes to college." (It just felt like a good time to say that...)

So what does this mean for people with disabilities?

Background: The law requires that, if eligible, people with disabilities receive special education services until age 21 - though that does not include college (I'm unsure whether by going to college they automatically unqualify or if they are still entitled to other services). College is a whole new world. "Child Find" is no longer in effect. Meaning that the state, university, or any organization is not required to "identify, locate, and evaluate" people with disabilities. Thus, students need to take initiative if they want accessibility and adaptions from teachers or the university itself.

Issue: I'm not here to argue whether students with disabilities (specifically intellectual disabiliites) should go to college - I would strongly advocate for them to receive support in completing a college degree if they desire. In fact, I'm not going to argue at all (sorry Doug and Brian). I just found this really cool program and I want to share it with you.

What I think: I think this program is awesome: REACH Realizing Educational and Career Hopes is located at the College of Charleston, South Carolina. It is a 4-year post-secondary program designed for people with intellectual disabilities. The College of Charleston provides tutors, mentors, and a supported internship during the junior and/or senior years. I am excited about this program because I hope it will give these people the skill set they need to get a job, retain it, and to do the job well. It is common knowledge that having a job provides independence, a sense of accomplishment and self-worth, and personal development; what more could you want?

Reed Hahne
Reed Hahne is a student at Utah Valley University. He also has Down syndrome. One of my professors, Tina Dyches, talked about him in a speech she gave at BYU. She played a video of Reed and this what he said:
I am a young man who goes to school at Utah Valley State College, where I have a 4.0 grade point [average]. I have to work extra hard in college to earn good grades. I told my mom that there are two things about college that I don’t like: homework and tests.



I also am a young man with Down syndrome. That is one of my characteristics. It is a part of who I am, but it is not all of who I am. All of us are distinct individuals. Some of you are tall or short. Some of you have blue eyes and blond hair; others of you have black hair and brown eyes. Some of us have to study hard to get good grades, while others have to work really hard to be good swimmers and runners. Everyone is gifted in some way.


I just finished performing in the musical Ragtime. I love school and I love performing. I want the same things that all of you want in life. I want to be happy. I want to have opportunities to get a good education and a good job. I want people to listen to me and respect me for my abilities and knowledge. I have many characteristics. I am fun to be around—I love people and making new friends. I’m good-looking. I’m a leader and a self-advocate. I love learning new things, trying new foods, and going to new places. Some other gifts that people with Down syndrome have are [things such as] we have lots of love to share, we are loyal and affectionate, [and] we help all of you to slow down and learn lessons about what is really important in life.


I know that I have Down syndrome because it is part of God’s plan for me and for the earth at this time. I have been told by the Lord that I was sent here at this time to perform special work that only I could do. I have been told that I will have influence upon people that no one else could possibly have and that the Lord has a great work for me to do. I know part of my mission on earth is to be a teacher for other people with disabilities.


It is really hard for me when people look at me and see only the Down syndrome. Sometimes people talk to my parents, asking them questions about me when they should talk to me. I have opinions. Sometimes people call each other “retards.” This is so very disrespectful in so many ways. If a person has a disability, it doesn’t mean that they can’t learn; it just means that they may learn a different way and that some things might take them longer to learn. I think people get in the habit of calling names and then use disrespectful words without realizing their meanings.


Nauvoo was my second mission. My first mission was at the institute of religion in Orem. Then I went to Nauvoo. While I was there I was called to be an ordinance worker in the Nauvoo Temple. I learned all of the temple ordinances. This really surprised many visitors to Nauvoo. I also performed, and I learned all of the scripts for the historic sites. It surprised people that I could do all of this. When we are given a chance, people with disabilities can do so many things.


It is important to look at each other and see our strengths and know that each of us is a child of God. He loves us, [and] He has given us potential and opportunities to grow on this earth.


I have a testimony of Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, and President Hinckley. I read the scriptures every day. Thank you. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
Read or listen to the speech here.  I also encourage you to read this article from UVU which talks more about his academic story: Student Success Story. From his words, it is evident that Reed has self-confidence and that he works hard and succeeds at school despite his personal challenges. He inspires me to work hard to believe in people, and to see people for who they truly are.

3 comments:

Fina said...

Awesome! Thanks so much for posting this! I'm going to share it with some of my teachers and classmates :)

Brian Nelson said...

I appreciate the shout out, but nonetheless, I will say that I feel like the tone of the speech is resentful of the fact that the general population has tried to become accommodating, respectful, and supportive of person with disabilities. It holds this accomplished young man's accomplishments (repetitively redundant, i know) as the rule, not the exception. Our culture lauds those who triumph in face of enormous odds. I join in lauding this young man for all he has done.

However, I don't understand what the big problem is when the public, upon encountering a person with a visually recognizable disability, tries their best to be supportive and respectful. The text takes the stance that upon recognizing someone as having Down syndrome, one should have the same expectations and treat them the same as someone who does not. Though I am unfamiliar with Down Syndrome specifically, but my exposure to disabled persons showed me that talking to, acting, and treating them as you would some without a disability often results in distrust, nonresponse, and even aggression. For this reason, I always try to be as sensitive as I can with those with disabilities (and when I use disabilities I use it to refer to mental, or mental/physical disabilities).

I don't read any complaint of people, who upon learning of the great accomplishments, capabilities, and triumphs of this young man in the face of such tremendous physical obstacles, continue to treat him unreasonably.

Down Syndrome, while definite in the genetic effects, covers persons of a wide span of mental capacity. Evidence of this is found in the fact that many person with Down Syndrome are never baptized, as their priesthood leaders feel their disability prevents them from understanding the nature of the covenants they may be undertaking. To the extent this is based on stereotypes is arguable, but it can not account for the vast range of abilities developed in the face of Down syndrome. On the other hand, I know many persons with Down syndrome who have been baptized, and weekly administer priesthood ordinances.

So back to the program you initially were talking about, it seems great. I know that when we simply label someone as having a "disability," it often leaves so much untapped potential and accomplishment unrealized. While I do not think that 4 years of college is right for everyone with a disability, I would support efforts to make opportunities available to all who want and are able to pursue job training and higher education. More specifically, I side and support the findings and purposes of congress in the Americans with Disabilities act. I'd recommend that everyone read and consider the position our government has taken.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/usc_sec_42_00012101----000-.html

Thanks for the forum Charisse!

Victoria Blanchard said...

I loved reading this. I'm glad there are opportunities for and examples of people with disabilities getting secondary education. I have a brother with disability AND mental illness going through school and it is not easy. I hope my two younger brothers can do it!