Sep 21, 2011

Perfectionism or Impatience?


Which one will out?

Here is my Maybe Matilda crochet project thus far, all 2 or 3 inches of it. And already I am faced with a dilemma.

Notice that I finally found pillows that match the couch!! :)

Will I cave to my perfectionist or my impatient tendencies? Because neither can live while the other survives. Maybe I'm being a little melodramatic. Still, it is a problem that caused me to stop my work until I figure it out (that's my efficiency/laziness coming out - after all, it's only 4 rows! haha). You see, on the fourth row I learned something about my crocheting technique; I learned how to keep the stitches tighter by crocheting in front of the project instead of on top. What? That doesn't make sense? Well, the result is that the stitches on the first three rows are looser than the rest of the cowl will be.

So if I were a perfectionist, I would patiently undo, then redo the project. But if I were impatient, I would just keept going and hope the original looseness wouldn't show. Especially because I've already started over twice.

What would you do?

Hurry up and tell me, already!

8 comments:

Brian Nelson said...

Honestly, I'd buy one at Walmart -- takes 20 mins tops (assuming the cashier is competent). That way you can be lazy, and a perfectionist.

Doug & Charisse said...

Brian, don't make me delete your comment!

Brian Nelson said...

Hey, Im the only one who "hurr[ied] up and [told you]!" You know you are on your way to Walmart right now.

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

Haha! "Neither can live while the other survives." I enjoyed that :-) Well, if it were me, I'd probably just keep going, but there you have it--I'm definitely not a perfectionist. It looks great so far, though!

Catherine said...

If it were me, I think I'd pull it out and start over, but that's only because I've been crocheting for a long time so it wouldn't take me that long. But since you're you, I might just keep on going!!!

Katie said...

I like the bigger gaps...keep going :-) this project will be a great opportunity to get all your kinks out. Then you can do tons more perfectly rather than starting the same one over and over and over again.

Victoria Blanchard said...

Mmmm, you didn't say how long it took, which definitely is a factor. I'd be torn just like you, so use me as a tie breaker (for whatever you really want to do) if needed!

Doug & Charisse said...

I started over. Looks like I'm more patient than I thought!