Sep 4, 2011

Satisfaction

Do you like Indian food? Well I do! And this weekend I was brave enough to actually make some with Emily Ferguson. (I tried before, but let's not bring that up...)

 Behold, our Chicken Tikka Masala:
Before

After
We tripled - so we could have leftovers!- the recipe from Allrecipes.com (with some alterations) which had lots of positive comments. We ate it with jasmine rice and flatbread instead of basmati rice and naan. Maybe next time we'll be more adventurous. 

The whole process was surprisingly easy and very inexpensive. We spent $26 buying the ingredients (for the chicken, "naan," and drinks) and made 12 Doug-sized servings. TWELVE servings. That's $2.15 per plate, just add rice. Go ahead and say it, we're awesome. Duh, I already know.

Addendum:
This is the recipe we used. We tripled it; you can just change the # of servings at the top of the recipe on the website and it gives you the correct measurements. It took us about 2 hours to make, including the hour marinating time. So, I think it's worth it to make extra servings only once a week, instead of 3x a week - because you know that's how often we'll be eating this now!

Changes to the recipe:
  • We didn't use any salt except "to taste" per the preference of the individual
  • We used a little more than 1/2 the pepper it calls for because I'm not really a pepper person
  • If you like it more spicy, add more jalapenos; and vice verse.
  • We didn't have fresh ginger so we used 1/3 of what the recipe called for in powdered ginger
  • We didn't have enough yogurt, so we threw in some milk
  • Next time I'd add a little more tomato sauce and probably a little less cream.
For the "naan" we buttered and sprinkled deliciousness on flatbread, then broiled it for like 3 minutes. I hope to actually try making it next time - I already have all the ingredients for real naan!

3 comments:

Emily said...

That looks amazing! And I love that it's 12 "doug-sized" servings, not just any 'ol serving size. You'll have to let me know which all recipes recipe you used, and what your changes were. I'm all for some homemade good-ness!!

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

Looks yummy :)

Emelro said...

could you send me the link to the recipe you used? we loooove indian food but have been to nervous to try it...made we will now!