Oct 16, 2011

Blossoming

This weekend was Stake Conference (where all the members of my church in Durham gather for one meeting) and Elder Marlin K Jensen and his wife, Kathleen, came to visit. Both spoke Saturday evening and Sunday morning and I thorougly enjoyed their remarks. I'm writing today to share with you a beautiful analogy that Sister Kathleen Jensen spoke of this morning.

Sister Jensen bought a nice green plant, a goldfish plant actually, and put it on the coffee table in her living room. Perhaps it looked like this:

source
She thought it looked really nice and was completely happy with how it looked in their home. A few weeks later she decided to rearrange the living room and consequently, the plant was moved to a different spot. Soon thereafter, Sister Jensen noticed small orange blossoms on her plant, "that looked remarkably like goldfish!" Something changed that allowed the goldfish plant to blossom.
 
source
She suggested that we might be green and completely satisfied with our life, yet we have the potential to blossom. We are living but perhaps we're not thriving. She encouraged us to find ways to blossom, to thrive. Move out of your parents' house, make new friends, find a new hobby. If you hate your job, look for a new one. Maybe you need more sunshine, or more shade.

Both she and Elder Jensen are great speakers. If you ever get an opportunity to listen to them speak, take it! In particular, Sister Jensen's talks were inspirational to me. I sincerely wish all of you could have listened to her speak, as well! She is the kind of woman I would love to hang out with despite our age difference. Then again, who wouldn't want to hang out with inspirational people. Now I'm rambling. Anyway, I hope that you can appreciate her message via my interpretation.

I also want to add that Jesus Christ wants us to blossom. We may be content with our "greenness", but He has more in store for us. I want to blossom; I'd like to want to do what's necessary to get there. I am grateful for Jesus Christ, my savior who loves me unconditionally and will help me be the best that I can regardless of what I am now.

1 comment:

Rachelle Standage said...

Charisse, thanks for sharing these thoughts from Sister Jensen. I love it and it is a great analogy of things I've been thinking about.
I may have to get me this plant now!