Oct 6, 2011

I should have TRIPLED this recipe

Yesterday I decided to try Doug's Aunt Heather's Carrot and Barley Soup recipe. Mostly because I already had most of the ingredients and I hadn't tried it yet. Little did I know that vegetables could taste so good! Okay, maybe I did know, but this soup was super delicious. Doug even liked it :). So much so that this small tupperware was all that was left for my lunch today:



ohhh so tasty!
 You want to try it, right? Below is the recipe, with my changes

Heather's Carrot and Barley Soup
2 large carrots, peeled and grated
1 TBSP butter
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
some chopped green onions
1/2 tsp caraway seeds (I didn't have any, so I just ignored the caraway seeds)
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
1 TBSP flour
3 cups chicken stock
3 TBSP barley (I added 1/3 cup - it gave more substance to the soup)

Saute carrots in butter for 5 minutes. Add onion(s) and continue to saute for 3 more minutes. Add flour and spices and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and barley. Stir well, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Mine turned out super thick - which I liked, but if you want it thinner, don't let it simmer for so long.

I'll definitely make this again, and soon!

2 comments:

Msherling0 said...

I love homemade soup! I'm not a fan of carrots but since my boyfriend loves them and I know I should eat them, I'm excited to try this!

Rachelle Standage said...

Sarah is excited to make this, she gave me the list of ingredients, which we now have but she'll have to wait another week until I get back in town.